Many people desire to work in one of today’s most attractive industries – fashion. With the popular belief that a career in this field puts one in the centre of the limelight, a lot of people are looking for a way to enter the industry. After all, the glamour is there, the publicity is everywhere and you get to work with famous people. Who wouldn’t want that, right?
However, a career in the fashion industry is not just about meeting famous people and dressing them up – it entails a lot of long hours and hard work. Any work has its share of sacrifices and as in the fashion industry, expect to spend most of your time working if you want your career to go somewhere. But how does one break into it? Here are some tips and advice.
How to Get a Job in the Fashion Industry
- Get a degree or take a course. It is always good to start right. Attending school to have a degree, such as a fashion merchandising degree, or taking up a course to obtain a certification is always a smart move. A lot of companies get attracted to candidates who have an educational background regarding fashion. Furthermore, this also helps you to learn about the industry and to be informed about the ins and outs of the business.
- Consider internships or apprenticeships. If you want to learn a trade, the best way is to have a hands-on experience. Why not try to work as an intern in companies that allow you to develop your skills and polish them? Doing so will add some good points to your CV which will make employers compete to hire you.
- Networking is great. It is important to have the right connections which can lead you to meet the right people. Networking can be connecting with friends and family and other people who can help you find your way into the industry. In addition, it is important to have social media connections that can link you to anyone and everyone from anywhere in the world.
- Make use of online tools. Technology and the Internet are powerful tools – make use of them. Be active on Facebook, Twitter and/or Instagram, as well as other social media sites that can lead you to a career in your chosen field. One of the most efficient and fastest ways nowadays to start a career in any profession starts by going online. It could also be a good idea to look into sites like uk.jobrapido.com, and search for specific job openings in the fashion industry anywhere in the area around Birmingham, including Lichfield.
Advice on How to Have a Successful Career in the Fashion Industry
- Work hard. Anybody who works hard will always be rewarded. Expect to stay up late at night or even go sleepless, if this is your passion. This is the nature of working in this particular field. There is no room for slacking off. If you want to succeed, you must work for it.
- Be open to suggestions and criticisms. Don’t feel bad when you get criticisms for your work. There will be lots of it and if you easily lose heart, you will not be able to make it. The fashion industry is a fast-paced business and one needs to be in rhythm or will otherwise get left behind. Suggestions and criticisms will make you improve especially if you see them from a positive point of view.
- Continue learning. There is always a need to learn. If you must learn a new skill, then do it. It will make you much more desirable as an employee in comparison to somebody who stagnates. There are short-term courses that can be done online.
- Focus. If you want to succeed, you need to focus. Get your responsibilities done and make sure that your work is always completed. When you focus on your goals, you will surely be able to accomplish them.
The fashion industry is a good area for having a successful career. There are also many possible positions to apply for. Start right by using the proper approaches. Once you get in, dedicate your time and efforts to making your career flourish.